Such like we are having up-gradation in our mobile Software (Android 4.0 to 10.0), Laptop (Windows 7 to 10.0) & also on Internet From 2G to 4G or further to 5G. This is because we are basically trying to overcome the Lag/Errors/Disadvantages.
In this article, I will describe how this generation takes place in Industrial Automation.
A History of Industry 4.0
- Industry 1.0 (1784) – Water/ Steam Power
- Industry 2.0 (1870) – Assembly Line Worker
- Industry 3.0 (1969) – Computer & Automation
- Industry 4.0 (2011) – ?
- In 1784 we were in the first stage of Industry where the operation of the power sector was controlled using Relays and Human Feedback.
- In 1870 we were in the second stage of Industry where the first production line with the help of Electrical Equipment, we started to produce a quality product on the fast track.
- In 1969 we were in the third stage of Industry where with the help of IT infrastructure and Instrumentation Automation we started to use and control field equipment’s from the Control Room.
What is Industry 4.0?
It is said that now “ The World is on your Finger Tip”, it is said so because we are in 21 century call a Taxi, Food, Groceries, Other Household Services within a minute by just clicking on the mobile app.
Suppose we started these advance IT structure in the field of Industry then you can imagine what will be the scope for our Industries worldwide.
Hence we started and intrudes on Industry 4.0, which we utilized by advanced Cloud computing with firewall protection, Mobile Apps & Network-based Operation.
These all are having their best advantages which are highlighted below.
- Live Status Update from Field
- Shift Report without Editing
- Network Controlling from anywhere
- Robots for Operation
- Outcome Income
- The efficiency of product O/P
- Quality product
- Minimum human Power
Industry 4.0 Example
Let’s know deeply with the help of an example:
WS- Work Station
Controller – DCS
As we can see in the diagram above there are 2 sections of the single product. suppose the Vehicle chassis has been made in the 1 st stage and send to the painting shop which is the 2nd stage of the Production line.
We are operating the section individually with the help of 2 DCS, One for each Section with redundancy. The 2 individual operators operate the section and these 2 sections are centralized in the main control room where with the help of 1 stage production we need to increase the process of 2nd stage or lower the speed of production. This decision is taken by the Central Control Room supervisor.
This is because we don’t want to sit the operator ideally or else not to have a load of heavy work which will lead to affect the product quality. Also these all shift reports are viewed by the Manager with the help of Network computing.
Here we connected a printer and limited mobile access to the company employee for security access, they can change the parameters of can access to the new users with the access key provided by the Company.
Whereas you can see the energy meter which has been connected with the network these will provide all the necessary details of consumption of the power in each stage for the production of the product.
There is nothing but the evolution in the industry that has been taking place in the new industry or some are upgrading their existing system with the new form industry 4.0 Standard.
Author: Jadhav Amit R
- Industrial System Architecture
- Energy Monitoring System
- Security of Industrial Systems
- Selection between PLC and DCS
- Burner Management System