Turbine flow meters use the rotation of a rotor within a flow tube to translate the flow of liquid into a readable rate.
The rotation of a pinwheel (rotor) can be sensed mechanically, or magnetically. With magnetic sensors, the rotation of the turbine generates a “pulse” which is picked up by a sensor.
Turbine flow meters are ideally suited for low viscosity liquids.
Turbine Flow Meters
Credits : hytekflowmeters.com
Advantages of Turbine Flow Meters
The advantages of turbine flow meters are given below:
- Simple well understood technology
- Suitable for gases and liquids
- Good performance
- Relatively wide operational envelope
- Low cost
- Easy to install and operate
Disadvantages of Turbine Flow Meters
The following are the drawbacks of turbine flow meters:
- Require clean fluids
- Installation must be done carefully to avoid errors
- Problems due to cavitations
- Accuracy is affected by bearing degradation
- Errors caused by viscosity changes
- Require frequent calibration checks