Bently Nevada Vibration Probes Functional Testing
To check the characteristics and
Proximity transducers use Eddy Current principle to measure the distance between the probe Tip and the surface to be observed.
The proximeter generate a low power radio frequency (RF) signal. This RF signal is connected to a coil of wire inside the probe tip by the extension cable. When No conductive material is within the range of RF signal which surrounds the probe tip, virtually all of the power released to the surrounding area is returned to the probe. When a conductive surface approaches the probe tip, the RF signal sets up small eddy currents on the surface. These eddy currents creates a measurable power loss in the RF signal. When vibration tip nearer the target the greater the power loss. The system uses this power loss to generate as output voltage.
The output voltage of the proximeter is linearly proportional to gap over a wide range.
Also Read : What is TK-3
Procedure: Follow the following steps
1) Physically check the vibration probe and extension cable for any damages, if it is please Replace with new one.
2) Check resistance of vibration probe and continuity of extension cable it should be in between 5 To 9Ω and 5 to 20 Ω (resistance value varies from model to model)
3) Place the vibration probe on TK-3 spindle and adjust to the target plate surface and make sure the scale should be zero.
4) Connect multimeter on proximeter common and Vout terminals. Apply input voltage.
5) Measure the output voltage (multimeter reading) and increase the target distance in the TK-3 calibrator and follow the same steps as per given table and note down the output voltages at different displacements (gaps).
6) After this make a graph which shows the relation between gap and voltage.
7) If graph is linear in between 10 mils to 80 mils then probe is in good condition.
Proximitor Calibration graph :
Note : Change in gap is within 80 mils Linear Range which is in between 10 mils and 90 mils
Article by :
- How to do calibration checks of vibration Probe, extension cable and vibration monitor
- Why we use Negative Voltage in Vibration Measurement ?
- How Vibration sensors Work ?
- What is TK-3 Calibrator ?
- Interview questions on Vibration Measurement
- Accelerometer Vibration Probe Principle
- Harmonics effect on Transformer
- Formula of 2 Wire RTD, 3 Wire RTD & 4 Wire RTD
- 4-20mA Formulas and Examples
- RF Admittance Level Transmitter Working Principle