In this post, you can read the basic flow measurement questions and answers on flow meters which are useful for the viva, tests, interviews.
Flow Meter Questions and Answers
1. What are the different types of positive displacement meters?
- Reciprocating piston type
- Rotating vane type
- Nutating disk type
- Lobed impellar type
- Oscillating piston type
2. What are the major three methods of flow meters?
- Area flow meter
- Mass flow meter
- Quantity meters
3. What are the different types of thermal flow meters?
- Heat transfer flow meters
- Hot wire flow meters
4. Name the different types of weighing methods
- semiconductor feed belt weighing ( Batch weighing)
- continuous conveyor scale
- radio active transmission gauge
- volumetric solid methods
5. Write any two points of calibration of flow meter
- wet meter – manometer which is calibrated with mercury
- dry meter – manometer which is calibrated with mercury
6. Explain the principle of turbine flow meter
when the liquid enters through the inlet, due to the inflow, the shaft rotates which cuts the magnetic pickup, and produces the voltage which is proportional to the inflow of water.
7. List the advantages & disadvantages of turbine flow meter
- Better Accuracy [± 0.25% to ± 0.5%].
- It provides excellent repeatability [± 0.25% to ± 0.02%] and rangeability (10 : 1 and 20 : 1).
- It has fairly low pressure drop.
- It is easy to install and maintain.
- It has good temperature and pressure ratings.
- It can be compensated for viscosity variation.
- It is not suitable for non-lubricating fluids.
- They cannot maintain its original calibration over a very long period and therefore periodical recalibration is necessary.
- limited use for slurry application
- They are sensitive to changes in the viscosity of the liquid passing through the meters.
- They are sensitive to flow disturbances.
- Due to high bearing friction is possible in small meters, they are not preferred well for low flowrates.
8. what is Rotameter?
It is an example of a variable area flow meter. When fluid enters lopped moves from the bottom to top. Distance is proportional to the flow rate.
9. Explain the principle of calorimeter flow meter
Consist of two coil type resistance thermometer, the difference of temperature between the thermometer is maintained constant.
10. List some examples of the inferential flow meter.
In the inferential type of flow metering techniques, the out quantity flow rate is inferred from a characteristic effect of a related phenomenon.
- Turbine flow meters
- Target flow meters
- Ultrasonic flow meters