In this article, we shared the top 300 Solid State Devices objective questions and answers for instrumentation, electrical, and electronics engineering students.
Solid State Devices Questions
The below list provides all the multiple-choice questions (MCQ) related to solid state devices.
Answers are available at the bottom of the article.
1. A special type of semiconductor diode that varies its internal capacitance as the voltage applied to its terminal varies.
|A)||Point contact diode|
|C)||Silicon controlled rectifier|
2. A positive charge outside the nucleus which is present only in semiconductor due to unfilled covalent bonds.
3. Diffusion or storage capacitance is the term used to refer to
|A)||The reverse bias capacitance of a diode|
|B)||The breakdown capacitance of a zener diode|
|C)||The effective capacitance of the rectifier|
|D)||The forward bias capacitance of a diode|
4. When transistor applications call for a temperature operating condition which exceeds 185ºF, which element is most suitable?
|C)||Impossible to operate transistor above 185ºF|
5. What occurs in PN diodes when the minority carriers that cross the depletion region under the influence of the electric field gain sufficient kinetic energy to be able to break covalent bonds in atoms with which they collide?
6. A measure of the ability of an LED to produce the desired number of lumens generated per applied watt of electrical energy.
7. Which of the choices below does not describe a clipper circuit?
8. What is the typical bulk resistance of rectifier diodes?
|A)||Greater than 1 ohm|
|B)||Less than 1 ohm|
|C)||Equal to 1 ohm|
|D)||It depends on the doping level|
9. The averaged dc voltage of a half-wave rectifier circuit is _____ of the value of the peak input voltage.
10. What is the most commonly used color of an LED?
11. A datasheet gives these JFET values; IDSS = 20 mA and pinch-off voltage is 5 volts. What is the gate-source cut-off voltage?
12. The frequency of a half-wave signal is
|A)||Equal to the line frequency|
|B)||One-half of the line frequency|
|C)||One-fourth the line frequency|
|D)||Twice the line frequency|
13. What occurs in PN diodes when the electric field in the depletion layer increases to the point where it can break covalent bonds and generate electron-hole pairs?
14. The break up of nuclei into nuclear fragments that are themselves nuclei is called
15. In a push-pull power amplifier, an input transformer can be used as a providing equal amplitude input signals opposite in polarity
16. Another name for saturation current in a diode, which arises from the fact that it is directly proportional to the cross-sectional are of the diode.
17. The maximum reverse voltage that can be applied before current surges is called
|A)||Reverse recovery time|
|B)||Reverse breakdown voltage|
|C)||Maximum junction voltage|
18. A ____ is a light-sensitive device whose number of free electrons generated is proportional to the intensity of the incident light.
19. What is approximately the sum of the number of protons and neutrons of an atom?
20. The way in which the gain of an amplifier varies with the frequency is called
21. Which of the items below is not true with α of a transistor?
|A)||It is the current gain of a common-base configuration|
|B)||It is usually having a value of unity in some approximations|
|C)||It is the ratio of the change in collector current to the change in base current.|
|D)||It is the ratio of the change in collector current to the change in emitter current|
22. Which of the items below is not taking place inside a silicon crystal?
|A)||Some free electrons disappears in the lattice due to vaporization|
|B)||Other free electrons and holes are recombining|
|C)||Some free electrons and holes are being created by thermal energy|
|D)||Some free electrons and holes exist in an in-between state|
23. The highest energy band of an atom which can be filled with electrons.
24. What is the other name of Esaki diode?
25. The current gain of an emitter follower circuit is
26. An acceptor atom is also called
27. The maximum operating frequency of a transistor should be _____ percent of the frequency cut-off of the transistor to ensure best performance.
28. It is the current gain for the common-emitter configuration
29. The reduction of power handling capability of the diode due to the increase of ambient temperature from room temperature.
|C)||Linear power derating factor|
|D)||Maximum junction temperature|
30. Reducing the number of free electrons in a doped semiconductor forms a/an semiconductor.
31. What is another name for a PN crystal
32. What type of material usually has one valence electron?
33. It is a stable positive charge in the nucleus that is not free to move
34. The electrons in the largest orbit travel _____ than the electrons in the smaller orbits.
|B)||In the same velocity|
|D)||A little bit slower|
35. The creation voltage in a conductor or semiconductor by illumination of one surface
36. An acceptor atom contains how many valence electrons?
37. Boltzmann’s constant is equivalent to
|A)||1.3 x 108 V/m|
|B)||8032 x 10-5 eV/ok|
|C)||1.62 x 10-18 C|
38. What is the most important factor of a power transistor?
39. What line is drawn between the open-circuit current on a JFET characteristic curve?
40. What is the net charge if a certain semiconductor losses 4 valence electrons?
41. Equivalent of the transistor at saturation in JFETs is ?
42. The ______ transistor configuration has the highest value of input resistance.
43. Junction diodes are commonly rated by its
|A)||Capacitance and maximum reverse current|
|B)||Inductance and PIV|
|C)||Circuits resistance and maximum forward current|
|D)||Maximum current and PIV|
44. The temperature coefficient of resistance of a semiconductor is
45. The use of ______ coupling is particularly desirable in low level, low noise audio amplifier stages to minimize hum pick up from stray magnetic fields.
46. What is the charge of the hole?
|A)||Equal to zero|
|B)||Equal to that of an electron|
|C)||Equal to that of a proton|
|D)||Equal to that of a neutron|
47. A FET without a channel and no current occurs with zero gate voltage is
48. What type of material usually has four valence electrons?
49. Approximate mass at rest of a proton is ______ to that of a neutron.
50. A semiconductor in its purest form is called
51. Approximately, the atomic weight of germanium is
52. A diode is a nonlinear device because
|A)||It produces a nonlinear graph|
|B)||Its current is not directly proportional to its voltage|
|C)||It can rectify alternating current|
|D)||It has a built-in barrier potential|
53. As a general rule, _____ are found only in semiconductors.
54. Which of the following is considered a unipolar device?
55. What is also called as the conventional amplifier?
|A)||Common emitter circuit|
|B)||Emitter follower circuit|
|C)||Common base circuit|
56. Which of the following is considered as the best conductor?
57. Two PN silicon diodes are connected in series opposing. A 5 V voltage is impressed upon them. Find the voltage across each junction at room temperature when nVT= 0.052 V.
|A)||D. 3.21 V, 1.79 V|
|B)||0.236 V, 3.2 V|
|C)||4.764 V, 0.236 V|
|D)||0.036 V, 4.964 V|
58. Typical leakage current in a PN junction is in the order of
59. Diode that operates in the reverse breakdown voltage and is used as a voltage regulator.
60. When PN junction is connected to a battery in such a way that P-side is connected to positive terminal of the battery and negative terminal to N-side, this connections is known as
61. An extrinsic semiconductor produces _____ when a pentavalent atom is added to the molten silicon
62. The principal characteristics of a tunnel diode.
|A)||A negative resistance region|
|B)||An internal capacitance that varies with the applied voltage|
|C)||A constant current under conditions of varying voltage|
|D)||A very high PIV device|
63. When both emitter and collector junction are forward biased, the transistor is said to be at ______ region.
64. When charges are forced to move by the electric field of a potential difference, current is said to flow.
65. Charge of an electron is approximately equal to
|B)||1.6022 x 10-19 C|
|C)||-1.6022 x 10-19 C|
|D)||-1.6726 x 10-27 C|
66. What is the reason why FET has high input impedance?
|A)||Because its input is reverse biased|
|B)||Because of the impurity atoms|
|C)||Because its input is a forward biased|
|D)||Because it is made of semiconductor material.|
67. An LED and phototransistor is equivalent to a/an
68. A cold-cathode glow-discharge diode having a copper anode and a large cathode of sodium or other material.
69. Which of the following is the equivalent circuit for a diode for third approximation?
|A)||A switch in series with a battery in series with a resistance|
|B)||A switch in series with battery|
|C)||A switch in series with a resistance|
|D)||A switch only|
70. Reverse recovery time of the diode is computed as the ______ of the storage time and transition interval from the forward to reverse bias.
71. What happens to the photoconductive material when light strikes on it?
|A)||The conductivity of the material decreases|
|B)||The conductivity of the material increases|
|C)||Nothing important happens|
|D)||The conductivity of the material stays the same|
72. What temperature is inside the diode, right at the junction of the p and n-type materials?
73. Clamper is also known as
74. Which is a donor atom?
75. What is the input control parameter of a FET?
76. The value of coupling capacitor, Cc in RC coupling is about
77. It is the process by which atoms are constantly losing and regaining free electrons.
78. If the line frequency is 60 Hz, the output frequency of a bridge rectifier is
79. What are often called square law devices?
80. Electron emitted by the mechanical impact of an ion striking a surface is called
|A)||Moderately doped electrons|
81. When the transistors are used in video amplifiers, its main limitation is
|A)||Poor filtering of signals|
|B)||Poor frequency response|
|C)||Low peak current|
|D)||Low peak voltage|
82. What are the solid state gallium arsenide devices that emit beam of radiant flux when forward biased?
83. The removal by electronic means of one extremity of an input waveform is called .
84. What is the approximate mass of a neutron at rest?
|A)||1.6022 x 10-19 kg|
|B)||9.1096 x 10-31 kg|
|D)||1.6726 x 10-27 kg|
85. How much voltage would you measure across the base-emitter junction of a silicon transistor at class A?
86. FET has a pinch-off voltage of about
87. Photoconductive effect means
|A)||The decreased conductivity of an illuminated semiconductor junction|
|B)||The conversion of an electromagnetic energy to photonic energy|
|C)||The conversion of photonic energy to electromagnetic energy|
|D)||The increased conductivity of an illuminated semiconductor junction|
88. In power supplies, circuits that are employed in separating the ac and dc components and bypass the ac components around the load, or prevent their generation are called
89. What are the two possible breakdown mechanisms in PN junction diodes?
|A)||Reverse and breakdown effects|
|B)||Threshold and knee effects|
|C)||Avalanche and forward effects|
|D)||Zener and avalanche effects|
90. Gallium arsenide, aluminum arsenide and gallium phosphide are classified as
|B)||Intrinsic material made by doping|
91. The most important application of schottky diodes is in
92. When the electron transmit time through the base region is very short, this
|A)||Creates a higher potential barrier|
|B)||Provides a zener effect|
|C)||Makes the transistor unable to amplify its signal|
|D)||Provides higher cut-off frequency|
93. Electron mobility property of silicon at 300 K is approximately equal to m2/V-s
94. An energy band in which electrons can move freely
95. When a JFET is cut-off, the depletion layers are
|A)||Very far apart|
96. Avalanche breakdown in a semiconductor takes place
|A)||When forward current exceeds a certain value|
|B)||When reverse bias exceeds a certain value|
|C)||When forward bias exceeds a certain value|
|D)||When potential barrier is reduced to zero|
97. Avalanche effects occurs at
|A)||Lower forward voltages|
|B)||Higher reverse voltages|
|C)||Lower reverse voltages|
|D)||Higher forward voltages|
98. A special type of diode which is often used in RF switches, attenuators and various types of phase shifting devices is called
99. another name for a light activated diode (LAD) is
100. The varactor diode is also called as
|A)||All of the answers|
101. Depletion–mode MOSFET acts mostly as
|B)||A voltage source|
102. Structural category of a semiconductor diodes can be either
|A)||Electrolytic and vacuum|
|B)||Junction and point contact|
|C)||Vacuum and gaseous|
|D)||Electrolytic and point contact|
103. The as fundamental particle is considered as a bundle of radiant energy or light, the amount energy being related to the frequency.
104. Suppose a JFET has IDSS = 7 mA and VGS(off) = -3 V. Calculate the drain current for a gate-source voltage of -1V.
105. Unijunction transistor has three terminals, namely
|A)||Gate, base 1 and base 2|
|B)||Base 1, base 2 and emitter|
|C)||Grid, plate and cathode|
|D)||Gate, cathode and anode|
106. The purpose of adding an impurity atom to an intrinsic crystal is
|A)||To increase the resistivity of the semiconductor material|
|B)||To alter its insulating property|
|C)||To increase its electric conductivity|
|D)||To stop conduction|
107. Silicon that has been doped with a pentavalent impurity is called a/an
108. The reason why electrons are not pulled into the nucleus of an atom.
|A)||Because they are not being attracted by the positive nucleus.|
|B)||Because of the centrifugal or outward force created by their orbital motion.|
|C)||Because of the strong bonding between them that resists any force pulling them towards the nucleus.|
|D)||Because of the force of attraction between them and the nucleus is weak.|
109. When temperature increases, barrier potential
|A)||Either increases or decreases depending on the semiconductor material used|
|D)||Remains the same|
110. There are two mechanisms by which holes and electrons move through a silicon crystal. They are
|A)||Covalent bond and recombination|
|B)||Free and charge particles|
|C)||Diffusion and drift|
|D)||Forward and reverse bias|
111. What type of diode is used for tuning receivers and is normally operated with reverse bias and derived its name from voltage variable capacitor?
112. When the number of free electrons is increased in doped semiconductor, it becomes a/an ____ semiconductor.
113. Eg for silicon is 1.12 eV and germanium is 0.72 eV. It can be concluded that
|A)||More number of electrons and hole pairs will be generated in silicon than in germanium at room temperature|
|B)||High energy of charges is a property of silicon|
|C)||The relationship of the two is not significant|
|D)||Less number of electron hole pairs will be generated in silicon than in germanium at room temperature|
114. Which of the following doping elements have a valence of 5?
115. A graphical representation in transistor wherein the emitter current is plotted against the variable emitter base voltage VEB for constant value of collector-base voltage VGB
|A)||Input characteristic curve|
|D)||Output characteristic curve|
116. Which of the items below describes an RF amplifier which will amplify a weak signal voltage in relatively the same proportion as it will amplify a stronger signal voltage?
|B)||Class A amplifier|
117. A class______amplifier stage operates with a small forward bias of the transistor so that some collector current flows at all times
118. Varactor diode’s transition capacitance is directly proportional to the product of the permittivity of the semiconductor material and PN junction area but inversely proportional to its
119. The eight electrons which are tightly held by the atom are called
120. Termed as unwanted oscillation that may occur in most any type of circuits, oscillator, amplifier, power supply, receiver and transmitters
|A)||Pulsating dc signal|
121. Silicon that has been doped with a trivalent impurity is called a/an
122. A volt-ampere characteristic curve that describes the relationship of the output voltage of a transistor to its output current is a set input current.
123. Approximate energy gap in insulator is
|A)||Eg = 0.67 eV|
|B)||Eg = 1.1 eV|
|C)||Eg = > 5 eV|
|D)||Eg = 4 eV|
124. Optocoupler is otherwise known as
125. It refers to any of the over 100 different substances which have never been separated into simpler substances by chemical means and which alone or in combination constitute all matter.
126. When temperature of a pure semiconductor is increased, its resistance
|B)||Remains the same|
|D)||None of the answers|
127. What refers to the temperature of the surrounding air?
128. Pure semiconductor atoms contain how many valence electrons?
129. A diode modeling circuit which considers the threshold voltage, average resistance and switch as the diode’s equivalent circuit.
|B)||Piecewise linear model|
130. How many protons does the nucleus of a silicon atom contain?
131. What term is used to refer to the vacancy left by the free electron when it departs from its original shell?
132. What is the ideal value stability factor?
133. Another name for metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistor is
134. A half-wave signal has a period of
135. ________ is a substance that contains atoms with several bands of electrons but with only one valence electron.
136. What diode has no depletion layer
137. The maximum permissible number of electrons in the third orbit is
138. What is the barrier potential of germanium at 25˚C
139. The reason why electrons are not pulled in the positive charged nucleus is because of the _____ which usually became exactly equals the inward attraction of the nucleus.
|D)||Energy at rest|
140. Which of the items below is not a good conductor?
141. Which of the items below is a special precaution necessary in handling FET and CMOS devices?
|A)||They have fragile leads that it might break off|
|B)||They have microwelded semiconductor junctions that are susceptible to breakage|
|C)||The are light sensitive|
|D)||The are susceptible to damage and static charges|
142. What particles are of zero charge and zero mass?
143. Each atom in the silicon crystal has how many electrons in its valence orbit?
144. Varistors are used for line filtering to eliminate spikes and dips and is also called
145. The energy gap for semiconductors made of silicon is
|A)||Eg = 4 eV|
|B)||Eg = 5 eV|
|C)||Eg = 1.1 eV|
|D)||Eg = 0.67 eV|
146. Which of the following is true about the emitter follower circuits?
|A)||An emitter follower circuit is equivalent to a common emitter connection|
|B)||The output signal is 180º out of phase with the input signal|
|C)||The output signal is in phase with the input signal|
|D)||The input signal is always equal to the output signal|
147. It is an arrangement of silicon atoms combine to form a solid such that there are now 8 electrons in the valence shell.
148. What is the principal characteristic of a zener diode?
|A)||A constant current under conditions of varying voltage|
|B)||A very high PIV|
|C)||A constant voltage under conditions of carrying current|
|D)||A high forward current rating|
149. A semiconductor is an element with a valence of
150. Which of the following has the highest input impedance
151. Atomic weight of silicon at 300 K is
152. If the temperature of a semiconductor material increases, the number of free electrons
|D)||None of the answers|
153. What two elements widely used in semiconductor devices exhibit both metallic and nonmetallic characteristics?
|A)||Silicon and germanium|
|B)||Germanium and gold|
|C)||Gold and silicon|
|D)||Bismuth and galena|
154. For a full-wave rectifier, the output frequency
|A)||Equals one-half the input frequency|
|B)||Equals two times the input|
|C)||Equals the line frequency|
|D)||Is three times the line frequency|
155. When the collector current Ic is plotted against the collector base voltage at constant emitter Ie the curve obtain is called
|B)||Output characteristic curve|
156. Which of the choices below is another name for a photoconductive cell?
157. JFET’s input impedance is
158. A lightly doped semiconductor has
|B)||No effect on a semiconductor|
|D)||More heat dissipated behaviors|
159. What orbit controls the electrical property of the atom?
160. The semiconductor device that radiate light or utilize light are called
161. The barrier potential for a silicon diode at 25˚C is approximately
162. A photodiode which conducts current only when forward biased and is exposed to light.
163. What extrinsic semiconductor is produced when a trivalent atom is added to the molten silicon?
164. Which of the following is NOT one of the three distinct regions in the characteristic curve of a diode?
|B)||Reverse bias region|
|D)||Forward bias region|
165. A coupled amplifier which has the major advantage of permitting power to be transported from the relatively high output impedance of the first stage to the relative low input impedance of the second stage.
166. A multiple-terminal solid-state device similar to a transistor that generates frequencies up to about 10000 MHz by injecting electrons or holes into a space-charge layer which rapidly forces these carriers to a collecting electrode.
167. The sum of the resistance of the p-region and the n-region is called
168. The amount of additional energy required to emit an electron from the surface of metal is called
169. An amplifier has an output power of 3 watts. Determine the power output level with reference to 1 mW.
170. What silicon NPN tetrode serves as bistable negative-resistance device?
171. A large signal amplifier which is biased so that current is non-zero for less than one-half cycle.
172. The voltage that turns on an enhancement-mode device is the
|C)||Gate-source cut-off voltage|
|D)||Pinch off voltage|
173. The maximum temperature the diode can operate before burning.
|A)||Maximum dissipation factor|
|C)||Boiling temperature rating|
|D)||Maximum junction temperature|
174. A diode that has a negative resistance region and widely used in the design of oscillators, switching networks and pulse generators.
175. The resistance of a forward biased PN junction is in the order of
176. Which of the following materials has the smallest leakage current?
177. Varactor diodes are commonly used
|A)||As voltage controlled capacitance|
|B)||As a constant voltage source|
|C)||As voltage multiplier|
|D)||As a constant current source|
178. What is also known as the photodiffusion effect?
179. What term is used to describe the outermost shell of an atom?
180. The maximum rectification efficiency of a full-wave rectifier is
181. The peak inverse voltage of a half wave rectifier circuit is approximately equal to the _______ of the input signal.
182. One of the important diode parameters which gives the magnitude of current the diode candle without burning.
|A)||Forward breakdown current|
|D)||Reverse saturation current|
183. What is the resistivity of an extrinsic semiconductor?
184. Which of the following doping elements have a valence of 3?
185. The amount of time between the creation and disappearance of a free electron.
186. The average dc voltage of a full wave rectifier circuit is ______ of the value of the peak input voltage.
187. An intrinsic semiconductor has some holes in it at room temperature. What causes these holes?
188. Percentage ripple can be calculated by getting the ______ and multiplying the result by 100%.
|A)||Ratio of the input resistance and input voltage|
|B)||Product of the ac current to dc current|
|C)||Ratio of the ac voltage to dc voltage|
|D)||Addition of the ac and dc component of the given signal|
189. The maximum rectification efficiency of a half wave rectifier is
190. What are the majority current carriers in the N-type silicon?
191. What semiconductor material is used in the construction of LED?
192. In enhancement-type MOSFETs, the _____ regions are used for operation as a switch.
|A)||Triode and saturation|
|B)||Cut-off and triode|
|C)||Saturation and active|
|D)||Cut-off and saturation|
193. The time taken by the diode to operate in the reversed condition from forward conduction.
|C)||Reverse recovery time|
|D)||Maximum power time|
194. What is the approximate voltage drop of LED?
195. What are the electrons at the outermost shell which are usually weakly attracted by the core such that an outside force can easily dislodge these electrons from the atom?
196. When a diode is forward biased, the recombination of free electrons and holes may produce?
|C)||All of the answers|
197. The reverse bias diode capacitance is termed as
|C)||Transition region capacitance|
198. Refers to a three-layer diode.
199. When doping increases, ______ of a semiconductor decreases.
200. What device uses a material catwhisker as its anode and is classified as a hot-carrier diode?
201. What factor is shown on a data sheet that tells how much you have to reduce the power of a device?
202. At absolute zero temperature, a semiconductor behaves as a/an
203. An electron in the conduction band
|A)||Has higher energy than the electron in the valence band|
|B)||Has lower energy that the electron in the valence band|
|C)||Jumps to the tip of the crystal|
|D)||Losses its charge easily|
204. In an n-type semiconductor, free electrons are called
205. Which of the following items is not a type of material?
206. The sharing of valence electrons to produce a chemically stable atom
207. When PN junction is connected to a battery in such a way that P-side is connected to negative terminal of the battery and positive terminal to N-side, this connections is known as
208. Zener effect only depends on the
|A)||Intensity of the magnetic field|
|B)||High-speed majority carriers|
|C)||Intensity of the electric field|
|D)||High-speed minority carriers|
209. A silicon diode has a maximum allowable junction temperature of 150ºC.
Find the maximum allowable power dissipation at 25ºC temperature if the diodes thermal resistance is 0.4 ºC/mW.
210. Which of the following doping elements have a valence of 4?
211. The voltage gain of an emitter follower circuit is
212. Who invented the feedback amplifier in 1928?
213. Under standard conditions, pure germanium has a resistivity of
|C)||60 x 10-4|
214. The energy gap for germanium made semiconductor is
|A)||No energy gap|
|B)||Eg = 1.1 eV|
|C)||Eg = 0.67 eV|
|D)||Eg = 5 eV|
215. What type of diode is used for tuning receivers; operate with reverse bias and derived its name from voltage-variable capacitor?
216. What term is used to describe the released electrons dislodged from its original shell due to the increase in temperature which joins into a larger orbit?
217. When the emitter junction is forward biased while the collector junction is reverse biased, the transistor is at _____ region.
218. An extrinsic semiconductor is a
|D)||Doped semiconductor |
219. In enhancement-type MOSFETs, the ______ region is used if the FET is to operate as an amplifier.
220. Which of the items below is not a pentavalent atom?
221. An ideal diode
|A)||Should have infinitely large resistance in forward as well as reverse bias|
|B)||Should have a zero resistance in the forward bias as well as in reverse bias|
|C)||Should have zero resistance in forward bias and an infinitely large resistance in reverse bias|
|D)||Should have an infinitely large resistance in the forward bias and zero resistance in reverse bias|
222. What in a semiconductor is defined as the incomplete part of an electron pair bond?
223. What happens to the voltage drop across the diode when current flow increases rapidly in a forward-biased diode?
|B)||Remains relatively constant|
|D)||Becomes zero instantly|
224. Present atomic theories place the mass and positive charge of an atom in a central nucleus composed of protons and
225. Which of the following choices is an advantage of a MOSFET over a BJT in an RF amplifier circuit?
|B)||Low voltage operation|
|C)||Low amplification of signals|
226. The nucleus of a copper atom contains how many protons?
227. For either germanium or silicon diodes, the barrier potential decreases _____ for each Celsius degree rise.
228. A heavily doped semiconductor has
|A)||More heat dissipation|
|D)||No effect on the semiconductor characteristics|
229. Impedance matching in circuit is important for _______ transfer of energy.
230. An emitter resistor is used for ______ in most amplifier circuits.
|D)||Biasing a bipolar junction transistor|
231. What electronic circuit converts AC to DC where the DC output peak value can be greater than the AC input peak value?
232. A ______ is considered a current controlled device.
|C)||Field effect transistor|
233. How many electrons are there in the fourth orbit of a copper atom?
234. The forward resistance crystal diode is in the order of
235. What refers to the annihilation of a hole and electron?
236. The equation for JFET’s transconductance.
|A)||gm = VGS / IC|
|B)||gm = IC / VDS|
|C)||gm = IG / VG|
|D)||gm = VGS x IC|
237. A large signal amplifier which is biased so that collector current flow continuously during the complete electrical cycle of the signal as well as when no signal is present
238. A full-wave signal has a period of
239. What is associated with random motion due to thermal agitation in the movement of holes and electrons in a silicon crystal?
240. What is the reason why a common collector is used for impedance matching?
|A)||Its output impedance is very low|
|B)||Its input impedance is very high|
|C)||Its input impedance is very low|
|D)||Its output impedance is very high|
241. With PNP voltage divider bias, you must use
|A)||Negative power supplies|
|D)||Positive power supplies|
242. The property or ability of a material to support charge flow or electron flow
243. What is considered as the key electrical conductivity?
|A)||The number of protons in the nucleus|
|B)||The number of protons plus the number of electrons in the atom|
|C)||The number of neutrons in the nucleus|
|D)||The number of electrons in the valence orbit|
244. What diode gives off light when energized?
245. What is the largest region of a bipolar transistor?
246. Defined as random motion of holes and free electrons due to thermal agitation
247. When both emitter and collector junctions are reverse biased, the transistor is said to be at ____ region.
248. An equivalent circuit of a diode in which it is represented as a switch in series with a barrier potential.
249. If the input frequency of a full-wave rectifier is 400 Hertz, the ripple frequency will be .
|A)||Equal to the input frequency divided by two|
|B)||Quadruple of the input frequency|
|C)||Twice as great as the input frequency|
|D)||Equal to a quarter of its input frequency|
250. The charge of proton has the same value to that of an electron but
|A)||Usually not important|
|B)||Lesser than in some cases|
|C)||Opposite in sign|
|D)||Greater in some cases|
251. Mass of proton or neutron is _____ times that of an electron.
252. A transistor configuration with the lowest current gain.
253. Its maximum amount of reverse voltage which can be applied on a diode before breakdown point is reached.
|B)||Peak inverse voltage|
254. Each pair of positive and negative ions at the junction is called a/an
255. What is approximate mass of an electron at rest?
|A)||9.1096 x 10-31 kg|
|B)||1.6726 x 10-27 kg|
|C)||1.6762 x 10-31 kg|
|D)||1.7588 x 10-11 kg|
256. A _____ is considered a voltage controlled device
257. Pure silicon crystal atoms contain how may valence electrons as a result of covalent bonding?
258. A unijunction transistor is a three terminal consisting of ____ semiconductor layers.
259. Thermal voltage Vt is approximately equal to _____ at room temperature (20ºC)
260. What is the number of protons in the nucleus or the number of electrons in an atom?
261. Valence orbit is the other form for
262. in an n-type semiconductor, holes are called
263. What is the typical operating current of an LED?
264. A manufacturer quotes in his specifications that a germanium diode conducts 50 mA at 1 volt. Determine the bulk resistance.
265. The time it takes to turn off a forward-biased diode is called the
|A)||Reverse recovery time|
|C)||Forward recovery time|
266. Which of the item below does not mean a VARACTOR diode?
|B)||Voltage variable capacitors|
|C)||Variable resistance diode|
267. A microwave diode in which the carriers that transverse the drift region are generated by minority carrier injection from a forward-biased junction instead of being extracted from the plasma of an avalanche region.
268. When a transistor is fully saturated,
|A)||The transistor alpha is at its maximum value|
|B)||The collector current is at its maximum value|
|C)||The beta of the transistor is at minimal value|
|D)||The emitter current is at its minimum value|
269. A mechanism for carrier motion in semiconductors which occurs when an electric field is applied across a piece of silicon
270. A MOSFET is sometimes called ____ FET
271. The preferred form of biasing a JFET amplifier is through the
|C)||Voltage divider bias|
272. What is the dc resistance of the JFET in the ohmic region if the drain to source current at gate shorted is equal to 20 mA and the pinch off voltage is 5 \ volts?
273. when a factor a junction transistor is 0.98, the factor would be equivalent to value of transistor’s beta.
274. What device whose internal capacitance varies with the applied voltage?
275. A nuclei with a common number of protons, but with different number of neutrons
276. What is the point of intersection between a diode characteristic and a load line?
|A)||All of the answers|
277. The maximum forward current in a junction diode is limited by its
|B)||Peak inverse voltage|
|D)||Maximum forward voltage|
278. The gate-to 0 source on voltage if an n-channel enhancement mode MOSFET is
|A)||Greater than VDS(on)|
|B)||Greater than VGS(th)|
|C)||Equal to VGS(off)|
|D)||Less than Vth|
279. When an atom has bound electrons, it is described as
|A)||Valence electrons disappear due to vaporization|
|B)||All charges do recombination|
|C)||Merging of electrons and other particles|
|D)||Filled or saturated since valence orbit can hold not more than 8 electrons|
280. A silicon crystal is an intrinsic semiconductor
|A)||If the crystal is undoped|
|B)||If every atom in the crystal is a silicon atom|
|C)||If majority of the atoms in crystal is a silicon atom|
|D)||If the crystal contains 14 silicon atoms|
281. The creation of free electrons through zener effect is also known as
282. What is the net charge if a certain semiconductor gains one valence electron?
283. The peak inverse voltage of a full wave center tapped rectifier circuit is equal to ______ of the input signal.
|A)||Twice the peak|
|B)||Thrice the peak|
284. The drift transistor has a high frequency cut off
|A)||Due to its low inherent internal capacitance and low electron transmit time through the base|
|B)||Due to the large area|
|C)||Since high collector voltage can be used|
|D)||Due to the resistance of the base area|
285. Which of the following has the least noise level?
286. The merging of a free electron and a hole inside the silicon crystal
287. In an amplifier, the emitter junction is
288. What are the three terminals of a FET?
|A)||Plate, cathode and grid|
|B)||Gate source and battery|
|C)||Gate, source and drain|
|D)||Input, output and ground|
289. The arrow in semiconductor symbol
|A)||Is not a significant symbol|
|B)||Always points towards the N region and away from the P region|
|C)||Always points toward the PN junction|
|D)||Always points towards the P region and away from the N region|
290. K shell means
291. Zener diodes can be primarily classified as
|A)||Gaseous and hot-carrier|
|B)||Forward and reverse biased|
|C)||Voltage regulation and voltage reference|
|D)||Varactor and rectifying|
292. A silicon crystal is a/an _____ of a semiconductor if every atom in the crystal is a silicon atom.
293. At room temperature, a silicon crystal acts approximately like a/an
294. A method of connecting amplifiers in cascade
295. The holding of one extreme amplitude of the input waveform to a certain amount of potential is called
296. What capacitors are used in transistor amplifiers?
297. It is also known as a solid state lamp which utilizes the fall of an electron from the conduction level to the valence level to develop an energy release in the form of heat or light.
298. Lifetime is the amount of time between the creation and disappearance of a/an
299. An effect that occurs within the entire bulk of a semiconductor material rather than in a localized region or junction
300. If the input power of a half wave rectifier has a frequency of 400 Hertz, then the ripple frequency will be equal to .
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation, PLC, and SCADA video tutorials.
- Circuit Measurement Questions
- Electrical Welding Questions
- Electronic Devices & Circuits Quiz
- Electrical Machine Design Questions
- illumination Multiple Choice Questions