Practice the instrumentation and control engineering matching questions, True or False questions, and multiple-choice basic test.
Instrumentation Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a pneumatic control system, the flapper is a type of
a. Variable orifice used to control an actuator
b. Vibration detector to shut down a system
c. Linkage adjustor to reduce error
d. Replacement for an air relay
2. Incorporated in PLC processors are _____.
a. Microprocessor functions, valve actuators, and electric motor functions
b. Microprocessor functions and distributed control systems
c. Human-machine interface, memory storage, and mathematical functions
d. Microprocessor functions, memory storage, and mathematical functions
3. Within the circuitry of a current transmitter are operational amplifiers (op-amps) which can perform ______.
a. Comparison and amplification
b. Addition and subtraction
c. Integration or summing and differentiation or rate
d. All the above
4. Once the process variable range is known, a transmitter is adjusted to allow accurate measurements over the operating process range by manually adjusting its______.
a. Zero, span, and current
b. Zero, span, and linearity
c. Voltage, span, and linearity
d. Voltage, current and variable resistor
5. Electronic devices can duplicate all pneumatic control effects and they can do it with ____.
a. Less expense, less time, and less manpower
b. Less maintenance, greater flexibility, and easier adjustments
c. Less time, less money, and less wear
6. A column of water exerts _________ psi for each vertical foot of height
7. Liquids vary in their _______________ with temperature as well as other factors.
a. Surface tension
c. Rankin factor
d. Coefficient of expansion
8. The pressure that is below atmospheric pressure uses what pressure scale?
9. The principle behind _________ thermometers is that two strips of metal with widely different coefficients of expansion – they expand at different rates at various temperatures – can be used to measure temperature.
10. One type of relief valve involved with temperature contains a ____________ plug that melts at a specific temperature.
11. Which of the following is not a way to measure the inferred temperature of molecular motion?
a. Differential pressure
b. Changes in volume and pressure of liquids and gases
c. Electrical resistance properties
d. Expansion and contraction of metals
12. The free end of a __________________ , within its elastic limits, experiences movement that is proportional to the fluid pressure applied.
b. Bourdon Tube
c. Bimetallic strip
13. Another name for a pressure relief valve is _____________ because it prevents damage to equipment and possible injury to personnel.
a. Safety valve
b. Isolation valve
c. Throttle valve
d. Gate valve
Instrumentation Matching Questions
Questions are in serial with letters a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o.
Answers options are in serial numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
Match the correct questions and answers from the below lists.
a. Pressure regulators ________
b. Analog ________
c. Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) ________
d. Distributed Control System _______
e. Ergonomics ________
f. Pressure ________
g. Back-pressure control _______
h. Thermoresistive elements _______
i. Temperature regulator _____
j. Gauge pressure _______
k. Thermoresistive metal oxides _______
l. Rankin ______
m. Differential pressure ________
n. Hydrostatic pressure ________
o. Head ________
1. Communication between controllers and computers allowing data to be gathered, the control of adjustments, or the operation of master-slave devices.
2. Hold supply air pressure to a steady required value.
3. The science that deals with the methods, procedures, and environment involved between humans and machines
4. Is a signal that is continuous and has an infinite number of points between its beginning and ending values.
5. Electronic control devices that perform many logic functions.
6. The difference between low pressure and high pressure at some point in a system.
7. Their resistance decreases with increasing temperature.
8. Control the flow of a fluid such as steam, hot water, or natural, through a system
9. The pressure scale that ignores atmospheric pressure and begins the pressure measurement at zero.
10. Converts Fahrenheit temperatures to absolute temperatures
11. Force per unit area
12. Elements that change their resistance value with temperature
13. Controls upstream pressure and involves maintaining a fixed pressure in a vessel such as a fractionation tower or an oil and gas separator.
14. Exerted by a fluid that is at rest in a container
15. The pressure that results from the gravitational forces on liquids.
Instrumentation True or False Questions
1. ______ Ergonomics works to assure that operators perform their assignments efficiently, with ease, and with a minimum of error.
2. ______ Current transmitters are best to use when control signals travel long distances.
3. ______ Programmable logic controllers can accept a variety of input signals.
4. ______ Weight loaded regulators are more popular the spring-loaded regulators.
5. ______ Atmospheric pressure increases with increasing altitude.
6. ______ Non-metallic or slack diaphragms are often used to measure very low pressure.
7. ______ Smart transmitters contain electronic microprocessors that process information from a digital communicator or interface unit, store this information, and allow re-ranging without the need for a separate pressure source.
8. ______ Control of pressure generally involves the flow of liquids or gases in a process.
9. ______ Temperature is the most important variable encountered in automatic control.
10. ______ Temperature can be readily determined by direct means.
Share your answers with us through below comments section.
- Loop Diagram Questions
- Instrument Questions and Answers
- Pressure Measurement MCQ
- EPC Interview Questions
- Power Supply Questions
This work by ShaleNET U.S. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.